sinbound. [Akira & Earinor] [ENG]

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Caelan stayd out of the discussion, just stood next to Ronan, waiting for him to be finished with whatever he was doing. The old noble woman was nice after all and Ronan didn't seem to have much of a problem talking to her, not like he had made it sound the night before. Caelan took a sip of his own beverage and greeted the Lady farewell, before turning to Ronan. "Look at you! All grown up and talking.", he joked, making it sound like Ronan was a little child. Had he startled him there for a second? He had a wonderful comeback though. "A little stiff, but good.", he added, sticking out his tongue. "So she knows you since you're a child? I wonder what you looked like, long, black, uncombed hair, looking like a seemonster or rather more like a puppet? The light skin tone would fit, almost like china." Maybe it was enouggh with the jokes, Caelan looked at Ronans glass of wine he had given him and chuckled a little, what a stupid question.

"For you to drink it, obviously.", he continued chuckling. "It's a good one, Orlando picked it, he knows that stuff." Caelan looked at Ronan somewhat anticipating, obviously waiting for him to take a taste and tell him if he liked it. Wine was common on these events everywhere, especially in Lavern where some of the best wine in Adrestia was produced. Caelan liked it, had started drinking pretty much when he met Cameron a few years ago, though only really enjoying it on these festivities and only if he had no tournament a few hours later, after all he didn't want to show up drunk to those, but they would have time to get the alcohol out of there systems until then. "Also it would look strange if you'd be the only one sitting with us, without a glass. We managed to get a spot at the gazebo back in the garden, wanna join us? Talking, drinking, if you want we can play some games, but don't try to beat Ethan in any card games, he's somewhat of a genius in that regard. Though try, but don't bet anything on it, I beg of you."
    • Once he got the old woman off of his case, he was free to do whatever he wanted - or so he thought. With her disappearance, the shadow of Caelan loomed over him even stronger and reminded him of who he truly and really was - no one that felt safe here, or among people. "I kind of have to, you know", the young noble said, as he watched the crowd grow ever busier and started feeling nauseous, just thinking about the kind of noise they'd all make. Something like this reminded him of the times when he still was a toddler and would cling to his mothers expensive dress, the moment he got scared. However, the duchess was not present right now and her eldest son had grown past the stage of infancy a long while ago, which also meant that he was not only saddled with responsibility but also forced to deal with his problems himself. "I'm still trying my best, really." Ronan could barely blame himself for being unfamiliar with all of these things - just like Saoirse, he wasn'at the social type, with the difference being that his mother was playing hard to get most of the time, whereas he had his fair share of problems. "There's plenty of paintings of my youthful visage in Alster, if you ever want to see them. However, I can guarantee you that I didn't look like a doll or a little sea monster." After all, he used to be a regular kid.

Ronans gaze fixated on the glass of wine, just for one second, as he took his mind off of the crowd and assessed what Caelan just told him. For one, he wasn't a fan of beverages like wine and two, he was very much aware that he usually barely could stomach things like that. Once he got the chance to, he had spend some nights with some of his fathers knights and other servants, drinking and talking, but also on formal events - every single time, it didn't taste good, but he drank it, glass after glass, only to realize that - in the end - wine was nothing in comparison. "You want to get me drunk or what?" Not that he had to let Caelan know that, though. Whereas his mother would probably be able to stomach so much more than Darragh or even him, he wasn't lagging far behind - and as he took a sip, he kept that in mind. "Well, his taste isn't bad, I'll give him that", the young noble said, letting it be for now and deciding that if he wanted to drink all of this, he'd do it later, once he was alone, reading his book and the festivities were an afterthought - he even had the book with him. "Sitting with who? All four of you?" It was an understatement to say that he was baffled, yet, he couldn't complain. "Would you even leave me the choice to decline?" Ronan took a step forward. "Probably not, so do your worst - and I won't bet anything, ever." Except his honor, dignity and pride for the tournament.
      Looking back, it maybe is like the toy carts you rode when you were a kid. But those toy carts could never go beyond the walls of the lawn. We want to follow the rugged concrete road beyond the wall. As we've grown, we've decided to leave behind the toy cart.
    • "You're not as bad at talking as you made me believe.", Caelan chuckled yet again, sometimes Ronan was maybe just a little humble? He must have know himself, that he wasn't as bad as he claimed to be. "No little see monster? Too bad, but I'll gladly take the offer of looking at your family portraits, I bet there are a lot more of you than there are of me. My father never was able to make me sit still long enough, you know?" Often enough they sat some other child in a position, roughly outlined the stature and then tried to have Caelan look friendly for just long enough to paint his face on the fake body. It wasn't that he didn't like having pictures of him hang somewhere, he just got bored pretty fast. Sitting for hours just so some guy could copy a glimpse of reality to an empty canvas? No thanks, what was the use of this anyway? It didn't show anything real, bodies being painted stronger than they actually were, faces painted prettier... and a smile that was mostly not present in the Fhaergus manor, unless Caelan had visitors.

"Get you drunk? No, I just want us to have fun.", Caelan smiled, watching Ronan tasting the wine and appreciating it as it seemed. Caelan wouldn't know what was good or bad, he pretty much drank whatever he was given and if he really wanted to get drunk, he prefered something stronger than wine. The eastern countries of Adrestia didn't enjoy hard drinks as much as the western though, so he didn't think he'd find something here. Anyway, making himself or Ronan drunk wasn't his goal anyway. "Yes all four of us, it'll be fun, promise.", Caelan said, already grabbing Ronans wrist again to drag him through the crowd with him. "Just try to have fun for a little while and if it's nothing for you, I'll let you leave, alright?" He planned to, but he was pretty sure, that if Ronan just tried to befriend Caelans friends and have a good time, he would. Maybe the event wasn't as bad with some other people. "So, no you can't decline. And for someone not betting anything ever, you sure did bet your life on the tournament, you know?" Caelan laughed his genuine and loud laugh, he was already having fun with Ronan again.
    • "You've never heard me talk when I'm on my own and haven't had time to prepare for conversation. I'm not as open and as naive as you are, Caelan", Ronan sighed. Being the son of a duchess gave him some privileges and even more rules he had to abide, which was fine for the most part, until it got to him having to do one thing or another - and that was about it. "And here I am, having to say that I did whatever was wanted from me - I never dared to act out of line, so there's way more of me than there should be", he sighed. Sitting still tired him out but soon enough he found joy in other things than running around and trying to beat all of these things, instead he complied and never did what he shouldn't, until very recently, when he started to rebel against Darragh because he couldn't stand it any longer. There was pain that came alongside this decision, but now he was here, free from his shackles for a moment, but still bound to someone like Caelan, even if just for a short period of time. His book was calling him and Ronans only answer was 'soon enough' - he was wrong and he knew, the moment he heard his new friend open his mouth and talk - was there anything else Caelan was good at, except sweettalking?

"So slighty tipsy, I assume - fine then", Ronan responded, as he took another sip and swallowed - wine wasn't going to kill him, not today and not anytime soon. Whereas Lavern barely offered anything else except that, whatever one would find in Alster, it'd burn at the back of ones throat and usually taste not only bitter but also absolutely vile and yet, even he drank it because he somehow liked it. "What do I get if it's not as fun as you claim it is?" Why did he want something to begin with? "I'm kidding, but good that you promise - if I had you swear on your ancestors grave, you'd probably be the one that joked around", and yet there was no trace of laughter or even a sly smile on his lips - Ronan had stopped and even his face looked as if it was frozen stiff, packaged in a regular, neutral expression. "Fine, I'll leave if I want to ... hey! Why are you touching me again?", he asked, confused as to why he was the one getting dragged along, but that was - also - sort of fine. Caelan seemed to have fun and that was what mattered, no? "Oh, I do - I'm just saying, I won't bet on anything silly like a cardgame." Was it just imagination or did the strangers shirt fit Caelan quite well? Oh, what a lucky guy. "I'm just horrible with people, that's all."
      Looking back, it maybe is like the toy carts you rode when you were a kid. But those toy carts could never go beyond the walls of the lawn. We want to follow the rugged concrete road beyond the wall. As we've grown, we've decided to leave behind the toy cart.
    • "Oh well, I will see you do that as soon as we are with the others then I guess.", Caelan grinned, but he couldn't really imagine Ronan being as bad as he claimed. "Don't worry though, after all I'm there too and you don't seem to have a problem talking with me." He was going to see to it that everyone had fun and that Ronan was able to find more friends during this event except Caelan himself. "Do you really think I'm naive?", he asked although he didn't feel that way, but people rarely knew how they were themselves, as much as Ronan exegerrated too, when talking about his own personality. "In case of portraits I guess it's not too bad you only did what you were told to. My father would have been more happy with you as a son I guess, I'm not very good at following his orders." Probably because he always looked at him, like he was responsible for all the bad things in the world and after seeing that face, Caelan already lost interest in listening to his father.

"Drink however much you like, I just thought it would be rude if I come to you empty handed.", Caelan smiled, he hadn't done that for Cameron, Orlando or Ethan but then again, they would not need to be convinced to sit together and have fun. Even Ethan, though quiet and with a neutral face of his own did enjoy all that, though he mostly only listened and starting to talk only once in a while for a cool or snarky comment. "Oh you want something again? Well, whatever you want as retribution for your maybe lost time, but that's not going to happen, you are going to have fun.", Caelan announced, turning his head, looking at their hands and then at Ronan again. "Because I want you to come with, why? Am I not allowed to touch you? Your were the one asking for a hug yesterday, remember?" Another smile appeared on Caelans face, but he fought down the urge of stopping and coming a little closer, just to see Ronans cheeks turn red. Instead they arrived at their destination and Caelan let Ronan sit on the massive pillow fort, afterwards he sat next to him. "Hi.", Orlando let out shortly and unusual, Ethan nodded and Cameron still wasn't back. Caelan sighed a little, before leaning forward and looking at his two friends. "You're not scared Ronan will have you beheaded if you say something wrong, are you? He wouldn't, right?" This question was directed at the to-be-duke himself and Caelan slightly pushed his ellbow in his side after he finished his question. Caelan was the same rank as Ronan, Cameron would not be duke, but he was the son of one, Orlandos and Ethans parents however belonged to lesser nobility, Orlandos family only having a small villa in Olette and Ethans family having some land in Lavern, governing around 200 people with Laverns duke as their boss so tp speak.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Earinor ()

• Was he afraid of words hurting him like the edge of a butterknife could or was it that he simply didn't fancy the companionship that was offered to him by his fellow to-be duke? "Prepare to have me stammer and do barely anything else", he sighed, knowing that this was the mortifying ordeal of being alive and bound to his duties, but also those he called his friends. "Well, no, but I had time to approach you and annoy the hell out of you one on one yesterday night, not in a public space with god knows how many nobles that couldn't care less about anything except fake relationships", Ronan said, as the scowl returned to his face and the bad mood was starting to settle back in. What was this anyway? His natural defense against change or things he seemingly didn't want? Seemed like it. "Sometimes, not always", was the answer he gave Caelan. Yes, he was sure that the blonde and his stupid, well-trained body was more than capable of something else than naivety, but he didn't always show it, instead, he put blind trust in a grumpy lightweight like him that would be gone when the next wind came. "I doubt anyone would want me as their son, trust me on that one. I know nobody does." Darragh was probably regarding him as a failure and whereas Saoirse didn't, she usually wasn't around - not during the warmer months - and therefore wasn't able to do much against whatever her husband did, which meant that Ronan just stopped telling her and instead squirmed in his fathers grasp until he'd, eventually, be unable to get back up ever again someday.

"Oh, I will - thank you for the wine", Ronan said, eyes glued back onto Caelan - and his only justification was, that the noble was standing right in front of him and he didn't know where else to look. "It was a joke. I really don't want anything ... and I should make it apparent that my jokes are jokes." One thing that Caelan of Fhaergus was, in fact, good at, was looking nice while running his mouth about things he barely understood or misunderstood, though, even the misunderstanding was Ronans fault to some degree. "Urgh, fine. You got me there. Do your worst then." How embarrassing it was to be caught slipping up like that, about something that very much was his own fault, too. Were his cheeks flaring up again? Who knew, he had no free hand to check and he didn't want to bother with a himself right now - instead he averted his gaze and let himself be pulled around by Caelan. Once he had sat down however, the air was somewhat tense and he felt like he should have just booked it out of here while he could. Who were these friends anyway and wasn't one of them missing? "H-Hi", the young lord responded to one of them, touching the nape of his neck with his now free hand, before being elbowed in the rips by Caelan. "B-Behead them? Are y-you out of your mind!?" Caelan had a special talent and Ronan wanted to call it "specifically piss him, and only him, off" - and he would. "God, no. I-I'm not as uptight as I l-look."
    • Caelan laughed and shook his head. "It'll be fine.", he said once again, if it helped to annoy Orlando or Ethan first, then that was fine, annoying Orlando was pretty easy anyway, though he had a big mouth himself, too big for his small size in fact. Ronan however put on his scowl again, looking grim and gloomy and not up for much conversation, but Caelan paid no attention to it, like he did yesterday. "We're only 5 people, you included, you know? Other nobles will not bother us." Was Caelan naive in thinking he could just befriend Ronan and help him befriend his own friends in just 2 days? Or did he trust too easily, because he talked about his problems yesterday, but Ronan did too, even more at that. "You're too harsh on yourself, maybe your father is just an idiot, you know? You're doing what he says, you're calm, not causing any trouble, different then me, trust me, my father will in fact like you."

"Jokes or not, you can ask for anything, if I comply is my decision.", he smiled and when they finally sat down the mood was weird. Caelan thought of it as kind of funny, Orlando didn't have as many problems with Caelan or Cameron, though he was the one yelling at them for something Caelan forgot, only afterwards he found out who they were and since then, he was studying every face of every person more important than him. His father scolded him, for scolding Caelan and Cameron in front of everyone, though Caelan just laughed it off and held back Cameron from punching Orlando in his face. Yeah, that was a weird start of a weird friendship. Now apparently he was scared to run his big mouth and Ronan was stammering as he had told Caelan before, it was somehow cute, so different from the way he talked to Caelan the day before. "That was a joke.", Caelan hummed calmly and Orlando letting out a hesitant laughter as well. "Well good then!", he said, trying to ease up and figuring out what he knew about the Alster sprout, well he was from Alster... and his father was Darragh of Alster. "Caelan said you'd try your talents at the tournament? You've never been in any right?", Orlando asked while Ethan was taking a sip of his wine and just following the discussion quietly. "Your father is a legend on the battlefield, huh?" Caelan looked at Orlando, then Ronan. "He is? I didn't know." "What do you actually know?", Orlando sighed. "It's said he ended a rebellion in the outskirts of Wezette, were peasants had collaborated with wolves and he did that alone. He followed one to their camp and killed anyone with just his wits and sword, but... I guess Lord Ronan would be better off telling this, it's your father after all." "Impressive!", a voice from behind them called out. Cameron was moving up, putting both his hands on Ronans shoulder and leaning forward. "About time we get a new opponent, winning is getting boring." "How's that? I beat you the last couple of times!", Caelan laughed and Cameron let out a snort. "You held your little winter sleep the last 3 tournaments." "So you only won, because I was stuck in Fhaergus?" "Shut up!" Cameron let himself fall down on the pillows as well, sitting there like owning the world and grabbing his glass. "So is the story about Duke Darragh of Alster true?", Ethan was the one asking now, moving the focus back on the actual topic.
    • Ronan let go off the topic - if Caelan claimed that it would be fine, it probably was going to be - but he knew better. Not, that he had ever interacted with the fellow nobles that Caelan was friends with, but he knew them - most of them only feigned interest in someone like him, coaxed him out of his shell and got what they wanted from a young, naive person like him and then let go of him, stopped regarding the weird kid that he was as a friend and moved on to the next one. Most of the friends he had when he was little were gone by now, either had passed on - had disappeared themselves - or were just not interested in him, because they had gotten what they wanted. Meanwhile, his beloved crown prince was the only that somehow, some way, had not let go of him - was he pitying him, or was it just because the fellow noble had no friends, either? They both looked sickly, spend most of their times apart from the crowds when they met and whereas Darragh would insist that Ronan stayed, the prince was free to prance off wherever he wanted to and eventually would find him, sitting on a bench in the freezing cold and enjoying a book, just to escape the trouble of being around so many people. "We'll see if Allard of Fhaergus will fancy me." And yet, there was no escape to be found, no prince to be seen - he wasn't required to be here, after all. "Well, whatever you say, puppy." This was going to be awkward and the silence was something that not only would dominate this conversation, the tense air wasn't going to make it any better - Ronan wasn't as shy as he thought, that's at least what Caelan claimed, but he knew better. Even if it was just five of them, he could still hear too much, could hear the crowd ramble on and it frustrated him that he was so sensitive when it came to all this noice.

Ronan gulped, as his eyes fell onto his glass of wine and he took another sip, silently waiting for something more to happen, for someone to tell him he was doing just fine or that everything would be alright sooner or later, but everything he got to hear was Caelan - of course it was him. "Of course", he acknowledged and put his hand back onto his leg, away from his neck, in hopes of eventually figuring out why the hell nothing calmed him down. "Y-yes. He k-kind of ... coaxed m-me into signing up", why was he faltering, not believing in his own or Caelans words and only ever listen to what he was asked, to then give an answer? These nobles were beneath him, at least in rank, and probably not stupid enough to seek out his father and tell them he misbehaved in front of them, so why was he all that tense? Was he still fearing words that would cut him as if they were knives? Or was it something else entirely? Ronan averted his gaze, focused on his wine and listened to the conversation, still hoping for someone to pull him out of here and to hear nothing more of his father - it made him sick to his stomach, but he knew all the stories anyway. Enough of them to say that Darragh was a brainless fanatic, but he couldn't spout all of this in front of strangers, even Caelan knew enough. The sudden touch of unfamiliar hands wasn't enough to send him over the edge, but his eyes widened for a second and he thought his heart would break through his very ribs - thankfully, they didn't. Thankfully, the unfamiliar face bantered with Caelan, not him - was he going to sit here and try to enjoy the moment, or would he be the one that got swept up in this conversation either way? Apparently, it was the latter. Instead, he averted his gaze toward Ethan, who also spoke up - he still felt miserable and lonely here, but at least he got Caelan of his case. "F-From what he t-told me, yes. I d-doubt he'd lie", was all that escaped his miserably dry throat, which was why he took yet another sip of his wine and asked himself if this would even help - this was not going to get him drunk anytime soon. "He, uh, t-told me a m-myriad of other stories t-too, b-but I doubt a-anyone wants to h-hear those."
    • Allard of Fhaergus always wished for a son being more like himself and not like his brother. Allard was himself calm, didn't fancy crowds, though he did participant in such events fairly decent and he rather read a book than laughing with friends, which he had not many of, not real friends at least. Caelan was none of those things, he ran around from young age on, hit his knees and cut them open so many times, broke his arm the first time with only five years old, because he wanted to climb up a chair and get to the cookie jar. When trying to tech him something, he was drifting off, becoming angsty and started swinging his feet instead of sitting still and paying attention. If he was to learn something, he wouldn't and maybe couldn't, concentrating was something he had a hard time with, though it got better in time. He did in fact learn how to read and write and history and whatnot, but he wasn't all too interested in it and if he was to choose, he'd pick a fight over a book. Allard hated it, hated it for being like Caelans uncle used to behave as a child, which in the end caused the family to fall apart. He was scared Caelans rash nature would cause equal pain and he'd be happy to have someone like Ronan as his son, looking past the frown, because it was better than Caelans carefree attitude.

"It didn't take much to convince you!", Caelan laughed loudly while Orlando shook his head. "Maybe he's just smart enough to not try to defy you, since you are a pain in the ass until you become what you want!", Orlando let out, having Caelan shrug his shoulders. Maybe that was true. He also kept ignoring Ronans stutter, though he asked himself if he could help him, he didn't have those problem yesterday and yet agan Caelan thought it was very cute, he was so shy now. Maybe it was also because of the topic, Caelan knew his father wasn't the young nobles favorite topic, so maybe he could try avert the conversation elsewhere. "Well I'd like to---", Orlando started before Caelan interrupted him. "Cameron, you came back alone?", he asked, looking at him and knowing all too well, that he would not stop talking for a while now. "Oh yeah, said they'd freshen up, so I'll have tme to ask our spy what he know about our dates.", he said looking at Orlando. "Sure, what's their names?" "Heck if I'd remember... I can describe them to you?" What followed was a pretty detailed description about two ladies and Orlando spouting every stupid rumor he got about them, while Caelan silently turned to Ronan, grinning. "You owe me one.", he sneered and then leaned forward to get a deck of cards. "Ever played? Ethan can instruct you, it's usually what follows if we got nothing to talk about anymore, though Ethan mostly doesn't play, because he always wins. Maybe you have a chance though? After all you seem a lot smarter than the rest of us." Ethan all ear leaned forward a little bit, smiling was almost impossible for him, but he at least tried to look nice and nodded. "Sure, I can explain it to you."
    • Meanwhile, Darragh wouldn't mind someone like Caelan as his son - even if he was rash and loud, at least he knew how to pick an win fights, wasn't shy and instead straightforward, as he tried to charm his way through a conversation. Maybe that was exactly why he didn't understand as to why his father hated the fellow young noble so much - was it because there was bad blood between him and Allard, or maybe just because Darragh had the luxury of picking his enemies rather than his allies? Whatever the reason, Ronan refused to get swept up in something like this and frankly, this was the best way to avoid getting dragged in some weird 'my son is better than yours' debates - Darragh would have them, once Declan would be older, but for now he just prided himself with the fact that his good for nothing son actually befriended the crown prince and thus secured himself a nice spot in the monarchy, should Alster ever fall - which, again, was unlikely. If he'd die defending his homeland, he'd die as a coward and a clown that had nothing better to do than throw away his life, but in reality, he already had nothing to do and he was somewhat trying to kill himself - he was already a fool for believing he could escape this world.

"Y-you wouldn't h-have left m-me alone otherwise!", Ronan said, bewildered by the fact that Caelan was now trying to pass him off as easy and starving for attention, even if that wasn't his intention and couldn't be read out of his words, the black haired noble already was overthinking way too many things. Orlando was right, Caelan could be a pain in the ass, but there was no way he was going to admit it before these people that merely were strangers, nothing more, and for now that was all he needed - even if Caelan called himself his friend and he did so as well, this would be about it. Anxiety spiked within him, as Orlando raised his voice again and was actually the one inquiring about Darragh, but before Ronan could formally decline him, Caelan seemed to purposefully avert the topic to something else and distract Orlando from him, just long enough to engage in a conversation with Cameron about god knows what - Ronan didn't care. "I do", he simply responded, before he drank the last droplets of wine out of his glass and then turned his attention towards Caelan, Ethan and a deck of cards. "I-I don't t-think so", wasn't Caelan the one that had said not to bet anything when playing cards with Ethan? Wasn't it just important to have fun? "I-If you're o-okay with explaining i-it, I'd l-love to give it a t-try!", he simply reponded, then turned his attention toward Caelan. "W-Well, I wouldn't c-call you dumb. Just ... r-rash."
    • Again Caelan chuckled. "Look at that, you already agree with Orlando!", he said and as soon as Ronan had finished his glass, Caelan leaned forward to grab a bottle of wine and pour him some in again. He really wasn't trying to get him drunk but he couldn't let him sit try here either, could he? And well, he did not exactly have anything else in reach, like water, but instead he grabbed some nuts sitting in a bowl on the table and nibbled on them, while Ronan and Ethan would care about the cards. He usually didn't care about the talk about girls, he would wing it whenever his supposed date he hadn't asked for arrived, Cameron always brought two. He rather looked at Ronan and acted hurt. "I never used the word dumb, that was you just now", he let out with a frown, which lasted for about half a second. "Maybe it wouldn't be bad for you'd listen too.", Ethan said in his monotone voice which could have meant a joke, or an insult, that was never clear with him. "You're saying I don't know the rules?", Caelan asked, though he probably was right and Calan just did whatever felt right. "You never did, so listen." Ethan turned the cards around and lay some of them on the table to explain Ronan the basics, what their names were and what they meant. Caelan already kind of lost interested but he tried paying attention, though his gaze wandered about, looking at the people wandering around.

"If you have any questions, just ask.", Ethan finished, put together the cards and shuffled them up, which always looked kind of professional whenever he did it. "I think it would be best to have a test game, then you'll get used to it. I'll help you, but Caelan will be your guenipig and he's bad anyway, so you shouldn't have much of a problem." Caelan started smiling again while Ethan was dealing the cards. "He's right.", he said, picking said cards up and looking at them. "If you're not sure what to do, you can ask me.", Ethan said looking at Ronan and trying to encourage him somehow, that was rare for him and usually Caelans job, but he was fine with it. "Whenever you're ready.", he announced, Ethan took a look at Ronans cards meanwhile. "Wanna bet?", he let out with somewhat of a small smile and Caelan laughed. "No? I'd end up empty handed." It was his usual question he asked every time but everyone of them had learned to not challenge him and Caelan had warned Ronan about exactyl that as well.
    • "I can't e-exactly agree w-with you, y-you know!", Ronan blurted out, as stiff as ever. It was an understatement to assume that he was uncomfortable, but he tried his best to blend in and avert all the unwanted attention he had now, some pairs of eyes glued onto him and being forced to be here, when he didn't even want to come here to begin with. In the end, he could blame all of this on his father and his own inability to make friends or understand social cues, were things to go south - and it probably would start with Caelan pouring him another glass of wine and Ronan immediately knowing that he should not drink that, especially not to combat his nervousity. "Sucks to be you", he retaliated at Caelan and for one, didn't stutter, but also knew that this was just a friendly jab at him - as if this oversized puppy would actually be hurt by the words of someone about as sturdy as a rotten leaf in the harsh winter wind. His eyes and ears followed the conversation that the blonde and Ethan had and for one, it felt nice to hear that Caelan always seemed to have his head in the clouds. Ronan wouldn't have thought of him any other way, but for some reason the sole confirmation of it made him feel a lot more relaxed, as well as the silly banter between friends did - despite the buzzing noise at the back of his head that tried to remove the rest of the far off crowds.

"I-I will", Ronan said, as his eyes still followed what Ethan was doing - was he really going to play card games with him and Caelan, or was this a dream he was having and he'd actually fallen off of his horse all the way back in Alster? Whatever it was, who cared? This seemed to be reality and learning something new never was bad, at least not if he could use the skill at some point. "And you're j-just gonna a-admit that w-without protest?", he asked, staring at Caelan once more. Did he let go of his pride and other standards because this was something between friends, or was he just admitting to his mistakes and the fact that even he lacked in certain aspects? Ronan had no idea why, but he was kind of surprised - Caelan was being honest, which wasn't bad, just suprising and potentially even more confusing to some people of their status. "Mhm", Ronan mused, unsure what to even actually do and picking up his own cards, looking at his hand and trying to apply what Ethan had explained to him mere seconds ago - the concept wasn't all that hard to grasp, that was for sure. "I'm ready", he sighed, as he watched the playful banter between these two and then, to no surprise of himself, shook his head. "At least he's honest", Ronan said, as he played one of the cards on his hand - god, where was this gonna take him?
    • The stuttering, the wide open eyes and the faint red color on Ronans cheeks was an eyesight. He was so shy and alert as if he was a little kitten sat into a completely new world full of people it didn't know. If he had been able to, he probably had hidden somewhere, or ran off, but he didn't, he pulled himself together and gave all of this a try. For a short glimpse he even retaliated, saw through Caelans act and gave him what he had coming, was he warming up? While Ethan was talking and Ronan listening, Caelans eyes wondered, stopped at a moment at him and he wondered, if he was getting used to the idea of spending some time with new found friends. Caelan just wanted him to have fun and he didn't plan to leave him all alone with a pack of hungry wolves, though his friends were not as bad. Ethan for one seemed like the kind of guy swimming exactly on Ronans wave, after all he was quiet too and he hated smalltalk as much as him. He was happy just sitting there, listening or not talking at all and Ronan seemed the same. On the other hand having something to challenge his mind was alwys welcomed and Ronan might enjoy it too.

"No use in denying something which is true.", Caelan grinned, looking at his cards and not paying attention again all too much. "He mostly is.", Ethan followed up with what Ronan was saying and keeping out of his game for now. Caelan wasn't actually that bad in the game, but it wasn't important to him to win and sometimes he was too lazy to think about what to do, or what happened in the rounds before. Sometimes he didn't even know what stage of the game they were in, so he mostly lost and rather watched the others play. Still, he didn't mean to make it too easy for Ronan and played his cards with some thought at least, but even when he started to try, he seemed to be able to pull himself out of his misery again an turn this game to his favor. He hadn't seen Ethan help one little bit, instead it looked like a faint smile on the lesser nobles face while he watched Ronan beat Caelan. "Damn...", he sighed, after his defeat was inavetable and set his cards back down on the table. "Congratulations." Caelan smiled at Ronan winning his very first game, it was only against Caelan, but he did try for a change.
    • Ronan didn't fell comfortable, not now and he knew that that wouldn't be the case anytime soon, but instead of bolting off and trying his best to disappear within the crowd, he sat there and let wave after wave of embarrassedness wash over him, tried to focus on the cards that looked all blurry all of sudden and even when he regained his will to actually fight through it, he still felt nauseous and as if he were dealing with someone that he could never beat. If he acted anything like this during the tournament, on an actual battlefield, he'd lose - he'd already have lost before he started doing anything and that was, without doubt, more than apparent. God, why was he thinking about this kind of stuff right now, right here and why was it so hard to just focus on a mindless game of cards, trying to beat a guy that he actually, maybe, kind of regarded as his friend and found undeniably hot!? Ronan wanted to choke on his own thoughts, admitting to himself yet again that it wasn't Caelans sweettalk that enamored him like a damsel in distress, out for distant riches, but rather the looks of the charming young fellow, trying his hardest to actually beat him in a game of cards that he should have no problems with - and he earnestly tried.

"True", he answered. It also was no use to try and pretend that Darragh was a caring, doting and loving father, but sometimes, one had to make sacrifices to actually get somewhere in life, even if that meant that somewhere was in the morgue - if he sticked around any longer, at least when his father was in a bad mood - he'd soon see himself, bleeding out on the floor and not managing to do shit right in his life. Ronan was appaled by the thought alone and rather focused on his cards, on what Caelan did and on how to beat him, without having to ask his friend for help - was it because he didn't want to appear as someone weak or was it instead that his pride forbade him from truly enjoying himself and just making and doing whatever he desired? "Well, beating you wasn't really easy, I'll give you that!", Ronan said once all was said and done and he laid down his own cards, as if one game would fix all of this. Instead, his gaze wandered to Caelan again, before it stopped, glued directly to his chest for a second, just seconds before meeting his eyes again. "What now? Do you want to lose again?" Did he just joke in front of a few other people? Likely.
    • Caelan really did try and although Ronan seemed completely nervous he beat him, it was a long while ago since Caelan last tried to actually win this game and Ethan had noticed it, hid his apparent grin, because he had found someone who might be able to entertain him for a while. Caelan firstly drank of his own glass of wine, before refilling his and Ronans both. Ronan actually made a joke, he was warming up, Caelan was sure and laughed. "Sure, I--", he got interrupted when Cameron put a tab on his back, getting his attention. "There they come.", he said with a big smirk on his face and looking at to ladies walking up to the crowd of boys. For one Caelan wasn't really up to flirt today, but he often felt that way. He still got up, leaving Ronan alone for a second and let Cameron introduce him properly. He took the hand of his supposed date, kissed the back of it and let out a charming "Nice to make your aquaintance." Then he let go again and sat down next to Ronan again, the young girl named Isabella sat next to him.

Meanwhile than was getting Ronans attention, tapped him on his arm and picked up the cards again. "Would you play with me?", he asked in his most honest and pleading voice, which was almost not apparent. "Caelan didn't put up a bad fight, you're quite good for a first game, I'd like to play with you, see what you can do against a real opponent." He forced himself to smile a little, he was actually good in reading people, better than Caelan was, who always acted like the carefree brute he was, while Ethan knew exactly what to do, but sometimes couldn't bring himself to. However, he really wanted to play with Ronan and Caelan was occupied just now anyway, he'd see to Ronan while he was flirting or whatever. calan got dragged into a meaningless discussion about no real topic with Cameron and the girls, let Cameron talk and here and there sprinkle some comments in form of compliments himself. Orlando was soon joining Ethan and Ronan, since he had no date and was feeling like the fifth wheel ovr there, which he bluntly announced joining the two of them. Ethan took the opportunity and made another proposal to Ronan. "Or maybe you want to try your luck against Orlando instead? He's better than Caelan, but worse than me... a second test so to say? I'll be here to help again, but I doubt you need any."
    • This was an expected outcome - not him winning, but Caelan eventually indulging in his own desires and doing what was right for him, whereas Ronan was but thin air for the time being. It was fine, this was only temporary, just like their friendship - ties like those would break and Caelan had said himself that, if he spend time with a lady, they'd usually be discarded right after he got what he wanted. Who was to say that it wouldn't be the same for him? Being thrown away like an used tissue was fine to him, instead, he peered at his third glass of wine for the evening and sighed - Caelan had claimed that, ultimately, his goal was not to make the young heir drunk, but at this rate, the alcohol in Alster could be oh so strong and even something like wine would, eventually, turn him into a brainless piece of flesh and bone, only reduced to whatever his body could muster up in a state like that. Taking a sip, he eventually was the one that - startled like a cat by the sudden touch on his arm - diverted his attention back to the one that actually wanted it for now; which was Ethan, rather than Caelan.

"Oh, sure!", the young noble said. He feared that Ethan would beat him, but even if he did, this was nothing more than a game and life was designed so that - in the end - one would ultimately lose their life, so all of this was nothing more than subtle preparation for what was up ahead, even if it wasn't that deep to begin with. Nothing in life was certain, not even victory - just death and that was about it. "I feel honored to hear that and I'd love to try." Ronan wasn't here to make friends, wasn't there to entertain those of Caelan, but actually he didn't mind - taking his mind off of all these silly things was way more enjoyable than anything else and the fact that he had to deal with most of it was ... surprisingly endurable. Whatever he did, or actually even just tried, didn't necessarily even matter - it all would lead to the same end, just like Orlando ended up with them and would - sooner or later - ask about Darragh again, to squish every last detail out of him. "Hm, if it's fine with the two of you I'll try to beat Orlando first and then, maybe, you? How does that sound?" The fact that his voice sounded somewhat excited, but his face remained about as tepid and gloomy didn't help, did it now?
    • Ethan seemed happy, as happy is he was able to be, Caelan and Orlando would have noticed, Ronan who knew him only a few minutes probably not. He was shuffling the cards almost excited while Orlando was joining them, noticing only too well that Ethan seemed different than usual. He eyed him for a second, before actually asking to the proposal. "Ethan wants to play with you? You must be good... but maybe beating Caelan was only luck, he isn't good anyway. I'll sow you a real game!", Orlando announced, making himself comfortable opposite of Ronan on the ground and with his legs crossed. "I'll drink the whole bottle of wine if I loose to a beginner like you...", he grumbled more to himself, Ethan though picking up on it. "That's a deal, if you loose, you'll drink a whole bottle of wine.", he said, not involving their new friend at all. Both of them got their cards dealt and Ethan leaned back, still offering advice if Ronan needed some.

Caelan meanwhile followed the discussion about Camerons honorable deeds with half an ear, but as soon as he made sure that Ronan was in good company, he wasn't as worried any more. He also still sat right next to him, in case his new friend needed something, or wanted his attention back. The young girl named Isabella sat on his other side and Caelan as if out of habit moved his arm around her and poured her another drink, while her attention and that of her friend was glued to Cameron and his very exaggerated story, but who was Caelan to decline him the attention he got. Caelan looked at the girl next to him, at her long braided blond hair, her blue dress and her pale skin and found yet again nothing really appealing about her. He almost sighed, but swallowed it, while she leaned on him and asked him if everything was fine. He nodded, smiled and waited for him to realize, that she in fact was a beautiful girl.
    • Ronan was content with what he had - wine, some cards and probably two people that could talk with one another if he stopped feeling like talking, or just wanted to get up to enjoy his book. Caelan was, simply, an afterthought for now - even if he had a crush on him, which seemed unlikely and yet he was pretty sure he did - Caelan wouldn't care for a man like him either way, if he put it simply. There was nothing in this world that Ronan could actually, truly give him, not love or even his hand in marriage, let alone an heir - and yet, he was thinking too fast and too far about things that were out of question. Even if it was just a simple kiss, to feel the rough skin of Caelan on his own and get messed up by him, it seemed like something that was out of his grasp. "I guess it was just beginners luck, but we'll see", he responded to Orlando, who seemed full of vigor himself. Was this what it meant to have fun, or was it rather that the good mood infected all of them? "Well, if you insist", the noble said and couldn't imagine drinking a bottle of wine on his own - not, that it tasted bad, it just would be a horrible idea to begin with.

Cards in hand and advice from Ethan at his side, this was starting to get a lot more interesting - whereas Caelan was trying, but not always, Orlando actually knew the rules of the game as it seemed and abided them, but also wasn't willing to stomach a whole bottle of wine. Ronan himself was kind of baffled - he had fun, hadn't experienced something like this in the long run and eventually, his eyes were more focused on the game than glancing at Caelan for a second; after all, he had said that he wanted to win this and that hadn't been a lie. Whatever they both tried however, it only seemed to culminate in the other making up for his mistakes in the next round and whereas he could have asked Ethan, the only time he did was when he was unsure about something - which, actually, happened maybe twice. Ronan disliked losing more than he hated winning something, which, in the end culminated in him actually beating Orlando, even if not by a landslide. "Sooo, the bottle is yours, I guess?" Ronan of Alster was, in fact - but only sometimes -, a cocky asshole with a shiteating grin.
    • "No way!", Orlando yelled out, casting his remaining cards on the table and frowning for a second. While Ronan was reminding him with words as to what he had promised, Ethan already grabbed a fresh bottle and handed it to his noble friend. "He cheated, didn't he? Or you helped him too much!", he complained, but taking the bottle and opening it up. "He didn't, I would have noticed. I did nothing more than explain some of the tricky rules again by the way, so... drink up already." If Ethan was able to smile then only because he liked the thought of Orlando having a headache the next day. The loosing noble grumbled, but he stood true to his word, put the bottle on his lips and drank up. Even Cameron turned his head for this and laughed a little. Caelan turned to Ronan meanwhile, poked him in the side and smiled broadly. "Well done. Ethan is your last opponent I guess, show him what you got.", he said, probably only for Ronan to hear. Orlando swallowed the last drops of the bottle, Cameron cheering him on and let himself fall on his back as soon as the bottle as empty. He demonstrated the emptiness by turning the bottle around and casting it away afterwards. He fought back a short hiccup. "I... I need a break...", he wheezed.

Ethan looked at his friend lying on the floor, but pretty soon got all the cards from the table and started shuffling again, now finally it was his turn. Caelan turned to Ronan again, just to let him know he was about to get some water for Orlando and he'll be right back. Though in good company with Ethan, he wanted him to know he'll be back in just a few minutes and wasn't planning on leaving him hanging just like that. "Good luck.", he added with a smile, before standing up and leaving the space between Ronan and Isabella empty. He was always the one caring for his friends and Orlando could use some water right now more than Ronan needed Caelan by his side, if he needed him at all anymore. He seemed to have warmed up with Ethan at least, the game helped and Caelan had been anticipating that, which was why he took the cards in the first place.
    • Orlando's behavior amused Ronan, to say the very least. It wasn't uncommon for him to win something if he put his mind to it, especially since Ethan had proved to be a great instructor and Ronan's grasp on the game had come easier than expected anyway. "I won, fair and square, but if you want a revanche, I won't decline, you know", the young noble mused, as he watched - almost in awe but also horror - how Orlando just took the bottle of wine, held it to his lips and started gulping down on it. Despite Ronan not being a fan of wine, he himself took a sip from his not so empty glass, watching on and on, before he was pulled back to reality - and Caelan was the culprit. "Uh, thanks. I will, don't worry", he whispered faintly as he diverted his gaze back to Orlando, who by now had drank every last drop from the bottle and was letting himself fall back - deservedly so - to relax and not be confronted by the mistake he just had committed. "Sorry about that", he immediately said, as he watched the fellow noble succumb and lay there. Ethan didn't seem to mind and the rest of his friends also seemed like they had known this was going to happen.

His goal was to beat Ethan, but that seemed almost impossible - even with Caelans silent encouragement and him disappearing to get some water for their - apparent - lightweight 'friend', the tension didn't fall all that much. Whatever should he do? Hope that this would be over soon, that he'd die struggling rather than use an onesided conflict from start to finish? It was just like that - from the moment he picked up his cards, to the moment he sat them down, tension was spiking and it felt oh so weird to not have Caelan around - maybe he was thinking too much of it, but in the end, he probably was just another easy adversary to Ethan, who - albeit not all that flawlessly - took him down pretty quick, no matter what the black haired noble tried, his opponent almost always seemed to have the right answer, or well - card -, to deny him even just a small victory. In the end, Ronan was the one that had lost against Ethan, the one that put the rest of his cards down and sighed. "Well played!", he said, slightly and earnestly smiling in Ethans direction, before he slid his own cards across the table. "That was fun, thank you for teaching me."